Posts for: September, 2016
Dealing with a sore throat can be stressful—especially when you have a long day ahead of you at work or school. Find out the common (and not as common) causes of sore throats and how your ENT doctor at Giulio Cavalli Medical in Pittsfield, MA can help you get relief from the soreness and discomfort.
When You Have a Sore Throat
In some cases, a sore throat will go away on its own after a few days. But some patients struggle with the soreness for many days or even weeks. That sore, scratchy feeling makes it hard to speak and swallow in the course of a normal day. Sometimes it becomes really painful to swallow. When these symptoms persist or get worse, it may be a more concerning problem that should be looked at by a doctor.
Causes of Sore Throats
A sore throat can be a symptom of a number of different health concerns. Here are some of the most common causes of sore throats in patients:
- The common cold.
- Flu symptoms.
- Inflamed tonsils (also called tonsillitis).
- Strep throat (bacteria in the throat—this is a contagious condition).
- Laryngitis or Pharyngitis (inflammation of the larynx or pharynx).
- Epiglottitis (inflammation of flap behind the tongue).
In any of these cases, your ENT doctor in Pittsfield can help you get relief from your sore throat so that you can get back to feeling, eating and speaking normally again.
Your doctor will evaluate the exact cause of your sore throat so that a viable treatment plan can be prescribed. Here are a few common treatments and therapies for patients:
- Cough and flu medication.
- Antibiotic therapy to eliminate a bacterial infection.
- Use of a moist air humidifier to relieve cold symptoms.
- Surgery in some cases (such as a tonsillectomy).
Solutions for Sore Throat Sufferers
If you’re a chronic sore throat sufferer, find out what's causing this symptom and how it can be resolved by making an appointment with Dr. Giulio I. Cavalli at Giulio Cavalli Medical in Pittsfield, MA. Call the office at (413) 443-6116 today for assistance.