Posts for tag: hearing loss
Are you having difficulty hearing? Are you experiencing hearing loss?
Hearing loss is an ordeal many people have to live with, but you don't have to live through it alone. Your Ear Nose and Throat Specialist, Dr. Giulio Cavalli, in Pittsfield, MA, can help.
The reasons behind hearing loss vary in their causes and manifestations, and happens to people of all ages. About 17 percent (26 million) of American adults report suffering from some degree of hearing loss. it is important to understand how hearing works before discussing causes and treatments for hearing loss though.
Hearing loss may be:
- Sudden or gradual
- Occur in one or both ears
- Temporary or permanent
Treatments and Evaluations:
- Comprehensive hearing evaluations, such as tinnitus evaluations
- Hearing Aid Evaluations: A time for questions and discussion of expectations.
- Hearing Aid Fittings: A time to orient to new hearing aid(s).
- Hearing Aid Checks: These are usually scheduled every six months.
There are multiple hearing aids. Here are a few:
- Rechargeable hearing aids
- Android and i-phone compatible hearing aids
- Automatic programming for ease of use
- Discreet hearing aids in both custom and BTE styles
- Ability to remotely program hearing aids
- Aids suitable for patients with an active, casual or quiet lifestyle
Hearing aids are designed to improve hearing. The goal of amplifying sounds at specific frequencies where there's hearing loss can improve the overall quality of life, such as the listening environment, especially when you're placed in a noisy place.
The hearing aids accomplish this amplification by:
- Making speech more intelligible
- Making communication less tiring
- Preserving nerve networks in the brain
Hearing loss is difficult to deal with already, but you don't have to be alone. The doctor at Pittsfield, MA, Dr. Giulio Cavalli, can help you deal with your hearing loss dilemmas and improve your way of life. To learn and more, call (413) 443-6116 in Pittsfield, MA.
Does it seem like everyone is mumbling these days? Hearing loss can make it difficult to interact with friends and family members or even enjoy your favorite TV show. Luckily, hearing aids offer an effective way to improve your hearing. Our Pittsfield, MA, otolaryngologist, Dr. Giulio Cavalli, explains how hearing aids can help you.
How do hearing aids work?
Hearing aids amplify sounds and also reduce background noise that may make it hard to hear. A hearing aid is a good option when your hearing loss is caused by damage to the hair cells in your inner ear. Although spending a lot of time around loud noises can damage hair cells, the problem may also occur due to the natural effects of aging or as a medication side effect, or may happen if you have certain diseases.
How can I tell if I need a hearing aid?
Do you have trouble hearing your more soft-spoken friends, or have you noticed that you don't hear every word in a conversation? A hearing aid can help you ensure that you don't feel left out or miss crucial information due to your hearing loss. Watching a movie in a theater can be difficult when you can't hear well. If you've noticed it's impossible to hear the dialogue above the background music, you may benefit from a hearing aid. In some cases, hearing can even cause problems in your relationship, particularly if your partner thinks you are ignoring him or her or not paying attention.
Aren't hearing aids ugly and uncomfortable?
Years ago, hearing aids were large and extremely noticeable. Luckily, there have been significant improvements in hearing aid technology in recent years. Manufacturers discovered how to decrease the size of hearing aids and also improve their effectiveness. Depending on your symptoms and your preferences, we may recommend a in-ear or over-the-ear hearing aid if we determine that you have hearing loss when you visit our Pittsfield office. Today's hearing aids don't just have one setting. You can adjust them as needed depending on the noise level around you.
Are you interested in finding out if a hearing aid could help you hear better? Call our Pittsfield, MA, otolaryngologist, Dr. Cavalli, at (413) 443-6116 to schedule an appointment.
Hearing issues can occur gradually and aren't always easy to recognize. Dr. Giulio Cavalli at Giulio Cavalli Medical in Pittsfield, MA, shares a few signs that may indicate that you have a hearing loss and explains how you can benefit from hearing aids.
How do I know if I have a problem?
In addition to a noticeable problem with your hearing, you may experience some of these more subtle signs of hearing loss, such as:
- Missed Words: Do you only catch every other word when you're talking to someone or frequently have to ask them to repeat themselves? Although it's possible that the person mumbles or just doesn't speak loudly enough, if the problem occurs no matter who you speak to, a hearing problem may be to blame.
- You Need Visual Clues: If it's hard to hear people if they aren't in the same room with you, you may be relying on visual clues to augment your hearing.
- Telephone Conversations are Challenging: Difficulty hearing while using the telephone can also be a sign of a problem. If no one else has difficulty when they use your phone, you may have developed hearing loss.
- Movies Aren't Enjoyable: Is it hard to hear the dialogue over the background music at movies? Going to a movie isn't much fun if you can't follow the action.
- You Need to Turn Up the Volume: People who have hearing loss may not even realize that there's an issue until friends or family members complain of too-loud TVs and radios.
Is a hearing aid right for me?
Hearing aids don't just amplify sounds. They also help decrease background noise that can make it difficult to hear conversations or the dialogue in your favorite TV show. Thanks to improvements in hearing aid technology, aids don't have to be large or obtrusive. Analog and digital aids are available and can be worn in or over the ear, depending on the type. When you visit Dr. Cavalli's Pittsfield office, he and his staff will help you find the perfect hearing aid for your particular problem.
Don't let hearing problems keep you from enjoying life. Call your Pittsfield, MA, ENT, Dr. Cavalli at Giulio Cavalli Medical, at (413) 443-6116 to schedule an appointment.
Find out if a hearing aid is the correct option to treat your hearing issues.
Not all hearing loss is the same. Some people may realize that it’s harder to hear those around them in crowded locations while others may feel completely out of touch with what others are saying altogether. If you are missing out on life because of hearing issues then it’s time to find out whether you should talk to your Pittsfield ENT doctor Dr. Giulio Cavalli about a hearing aid.
Answer these questions regarding the state of your hearing:
- Do people seem to mumble or speak softer than they once did?
- Do you have to ask people to repeat themselves often?
- Do you have to turn up the volume on the radio or TV in order to hear it?
- Do you find it difficult to understand people on the phone?
- Do you feel like it takes a lot of effort to follow a conversation?
- Is it hard to hear people in louder environments like at a party or restaurant?
- Do you have to strain to hear people sometimes?
- Do you feel like you are missing out on what others around you are saying?
- Do you avoid social situations because you can’t hear others well?
- Do you find yourself becoming irritable or withdrawn?
If you answered yes to the majority of these questions then it’s time you decided to get a hearing test from your ear, nose & throat doctor in Pittsfield. Through this fast and non-invasive test we can determine the extent of your hearing loss to help you decide which type of hearing aid is right for you. The sooner you opt for a hearing aid the easier and faster it will be to adjust to your new device.
What a Hearing Aid Can Do
The purpose of a hearing aid is to amplify sound so that you can hear better. By wearing your hearing aid, softer sounds will become audible and normal everyday conversation will become easier.
Hearing aids also improve a person’s ability to understand conversations that were otherwise not audible before this device. How much your hearing aid improves your ability to understand speech will depend on the severity of your hearing loss and how noisy your surroundings are.
Ready to enjoy understanding those around you better? If so, then the next step is to schedule an appointment at our ENT office in Pittsfield, MA. Let Giulio Cavalli Medical help you hear better for the long term.